Tuesday, December 11, 2012

lucky #13

today marks 13 years of marriage for the big M and i!
we were married december 11, 1999.
13 years!
i know it's not anything like our grandparents' 60+ or what have you...
but 13 is still great, in my books.
we've probably already long outlasted most hollywood marriages.
but really, who's hasn't?!
did you know i was only 20 when i got married?
just a kid.
big M was 21, just 3 weeks shy from his 22nd birthday.
i like to think that we "grew up" together.
we both moved out of our parents' houses and into our own home.
we both did the dorm thing for a year at bible college, but honestly, that doesn't really count.
you get three square meals a day, you bring your laundry home on weekends and it's a constant party.
none of those things happened when we moved in together.
we definitely didn't eat three square meals a day... try KD 2x's a day.
we didn't bring our laundry to our mom's... although we might have tried, i don't remember.
and it wasn't a constant party... just a sometimes party.
we did have to work, you know?  ;)
but those years sure were great!
just the two of us!
no real commitments.
it was relaxed and fun!
and i can hardly believe it was 13 years ago!
where has the time gone?
i don't feel as old as i am.
i feel like we're still those young, free spirited newly weds... just have a few kids added like a cherry on top.
we've had our ups and downs, like any couple, but we've managed to stick it out.
the things that have changed?
-less hair on big M's head
-less stuffing, ahem, on my chest (if we're really being honest here)
-a bigger home (our first place was less than 900 square feet)
-a bigger vehicle (our first car was a tin can mazda protege! yeah!)
-more stuff (seen and unforeseen)
-and more love
i didn't know that you could trust someone as much as i trust my husband.
i've been so incredibly blessed by him.
he's my biggest advocate, my greatest cheerleader, my sounding board, my partner, my support, my lover.
he, unfortunately, gets the worst of me and i think a lot of it is because i'm too comfortable with him.
i tend to take him for granted.
i forget that he's a gift... a wonderful blessing from Jesus.
my resolve is to cherish him like he cherishes me.
spoil him like he spoils me.
love him like no one can but me!
we were chosen for each other.
13 years ago we made vows to one another in front of family and friends.
today we will celebrate with yummy chinese food (yay, i don't have to cook) and we will eat dinner with our three girls.
and we will think about how lucky this year is going to be.
even if my boobs are a lot smaller than they used to be!  poor guy!  ha!
(pics from my trash the dress session with charmaine toews in sept '10)
(more here and here)

2 comments:

bandofbrothers said...

what fun photos! my wedding photos STINK, no lie.

congrats on making it to 13 years, and happy anniversary!

i think i was 20 when i got married too! your story sounds a lot like ours:)

Rachel Zimm said...

happy 13th anniversary! those are great photos!
floralandfudge